You are invited to participate in the following two conferences. We strongly encourage all KAFA members (especially junior faculty and those who have not presented papers at the joint conferences in the past) to submit papers.
- Joint Conference with the Korea Institute of Finance (KIF)
The annual joint conference with the KIF will be held as a one-day conference in Seoul (June 2, 2020).
- Topic: Any finance areas
- When: June 2, 2020
- Where: Seoul, Korea
- Submission deadline: March 1, 2020 (11:59pm, EST)
- Notification of the accepted papers: April 1, 2020
- Submit papers to Professor Kiyoung Chang, President-Elect, firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2020 (11:59pm, EST). Please indicate the conference, “KAFA joint conference with the KIF,” in the title. Attach two files to the email: (1) the cover page that shows the title, author names, and affiliations, and (2) the main text without names and affiliations.
- Review process: In the first round, all submitted papers will be reviewed and four papers will be selected by the Review Committee members (Professors Kiyoung Chang, Hwagyun Kim, Jongsub Lee, Suzanne Lee, and Hayong Yun). In the second round, the KIF will finally choose 2 papers for presentation.
- Any paper submitted by a researcher who has not paid the life-time membership fee ($300) will be excluded in the review process.
- The KAFA members receiving the travel supports are recommended to attend the other joint conference with the KFAs.
- Joint Conference with the Allied Korea Finance Associations (KFAs)
As in previous years, we expect to be part of the 2020 joint conference with the Allied Korea Finance Associations. Please note the followings regarding the Joint Conference with the Allied Korea Finance Associations (KFAs).
- The conference will be held in Seoul for one day. KAFA no longer reviews papers for the conference. You are suggested to submit your paper(s) to the conference directly. For more information please see our president’s invitation below. If your papers are accepted, you will be considered for one of the three outstanding overseas scholar awards, exclusively reserved for KAFA members only, with a prize of ₩ 1,000,000 for each recipient.
- Topics: Any finance areas
- When: May 29, 2020
- Where: Seoul, Korea
- Submission deadline: March 27, 2020
- Notification of the accepted papers: May 1, 2020
- Submit papers to the conference directly (click here)
2019 Awards Recipients
We are pleased to announce the recipients of the annual awards for 2018-2019. Congratulations to all award winners. All recipients must attend the annual meeting to receive the awards.
- The Financial News-KAFA Eminent Scholar Award
Selection Criteria: The FN-KAFA Eminent Scholar Award is given to a KAFA member who has achieved outstanding scholarly accomplishment and research contribution in leading journals in finance and related fields.
Winner: Professor Peter Chung, University of California, Riverside
- The D.K. Kim Distinguished Scholar Award
Selection Criteria: The recipient of the D.K. Kim Distinguished Scholar Award should be a KAFA life-time member who has made outstanding scholarly achievements in the finance and related fields, and at the same time has substantially contributed to or has a potential for significant contribution to the growth of KAFA.
Winner: Professor Cheol Eun, Georgia Institute of Technology
- The Distinguished Service Award
Selection Criteria: The Distinguished Service Award is given to a KAFA member who has made significant contributions to KAFA and our profession.
Winner: Professor Yong H. Kim, University of Cincinnati
- The Shinhan Bank-KAFA Young Scholar Award
Selection Criteria: The SHB-KAFA Young Scholar Award is given to a KAFA member who has demonstrated exemplary scholarly performance through publications in leading journals in finance and related fields. Those KAFA members who earned his or her Ph.D. degree within seven years prior to the award date would be considered for the award.
Winner: Professor Joonki Noh, Case Western Reserve University
- The 13th Financial News & KAFA Top-Journal Paper Award
Professor Jiyoon Lee, George Washington University, “Information Asymmetry, Mispricing and Security Issuance,” 2019, Journal of Finance, forthcoming.
Professor Jung Hoon Lee, Tulane University, “Do Portfolio Manager Contracts Contract Portfolio Management?” (co-authored with Charles Trzcinka and Shyam Venkatesan), 2019, Journal of Finance, forthcoming.
- The 13th Shinhan Bank & KAFA Best Paper Award:
Professors Jun-Koo Kang, Nanyang Technological University, and Jungmin Kim, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, “Do Family Firms Invest More than Nonfamily Firms in Employee-Friendly Policies?” 2019, Management Science, forthcoming.
Professor Irene Yi, University of Toronto, “Opportunistic Proposals by Union Shareholders” (co-authored with John G. Matsusaka and Oguzhan Ozbas), 2019, Review of Financial Studies 32, 3215-3265.
- Bong-Soo Lee Memorial Scholarship
Winner: Albert J. Lee, University (SUNY) at Buffalo
- The 13th Financial News & KAFA Doctoral Student Dissertation Awards:
Winner: Sung Kwan Lee, New York University, “Fintech Nudges: Overspending Messages and Personal Finance Management.”
- Shinhan Bank & KAFA Scholarship for Ph.D. students
Congratulations! The following PhD students who are presenting papers at the FMA conference are selected for the Shinhan Bank scholarship:
Eunpyo Hong (George Washington University)
Chanik Jo (University of Toronto)
Hyung Joo Kim (University of Houston)
Raymond Kim (University of California, Riverside)
Sang Hyun Kim (University of Texas at Dallas)
Byeung-Joo Lee (Korea University)
Minyoung Pyo (Pennsylvania State University)
Jinhyeok Ra (Korea University)